Layers and layers of just the best stuff!
In Mexico, almost any layered dessert that needs to sit in a freezer for a couple of hours is called a Carlota. In our opinion (of course, we are biased!) the best one is the one made with ice cream, flaky puff pastry or biscuits, and Josefa.
For this recipe, all the equipment that you need is a mold or container to layer the Carlota. Since you can make this Carlota in any container, the ingredient quantities and servings can change. So, we’ll just list the ingredients and directions. We invite you to improvise by adding more ingredients such as sliced strawberries or chopped peanuts.
- Flaky puff-pastry (campechanas) or biscuits (Maria)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Line the bottom of the container with the flaky puff pastry or biscuits.
- Cover with a layer of ice cream.
- Drizzle Josefa over ice cream.
- Repeat steps as many times as needed to cover the container.
- Freeze for at least 30 min.
Want to spice it up? Add sliced strawberries, chopped peanuts, or sprinkle with sea salt.